Saturday, March 27, 2010

"Saturdays were made for Skating" : Skate Video Saturday

So on Saturdays, back in the day, man I promise were the best days! My bro's and I would tag on the phone, " Yo you tryna skate?" "Yo, its 75 and breezy baby!" "Yo, lets go to the Courthouse!" " Lets go downtown Raleigh!" We would trade our catch phrases for about 20 mins all meaning one thing, ITS SKATE DAY. I would go run and get dressed, shoe string belt, Levi's 501's, basic v-neck some Sb's, and a hat to match, was my steez of choice. Beg my mom to run me around to my Bro Corey Woods house that stayed 10 mins away from the hood, and if she said yes, it was on like Donkey Kong. It would be maybe 4 of us dedicated skate rats (as the old heads would call us because we were always at the skate spots and skate park ) and the first thing we had to do to hype us up for the skate day was video time. Now I never got the latest video before my bro's I was the kid who got the burnt copy after everybody watched it. I didn't care cause I was always a humble kid. This was the time I loved and was so important to all of us, cause this was the time we can see the things that we only would dream of doing done with eaze and steez.

So on my blog I dedicate that 30 mins before our skate day every Saturday with a Video that as a Kid I watched that got me hyped on skating . Ill start first with one of my favorite skaters of all time: Devine Calloway. Why? because he was BLACK! ha. naw but Devine had such a chill attitude and just a great smooth lax style, his backside 360 flips were dialed, and Da Dude was always smiling! He reminded me alot of how I felt when I was skating with all my friends. Also YES, because he was black. My hood and black associates would always be like " Bruh, why you always skateboarding like dem whiteboys? You know good and well there aint any black skaters dat skate like dem white boys!" Among other things they would try and shoot me on, like my "whiteboy shoes" (I called them vans, nike sb's and Lakai's, that cost more then there air force ones) my skateboard deck that started at bout a buck twenty. and my jeans that were tighter then the trash bag they were wearing. I didn't care after 7th grade, cause thats when I saw Devine Calloway, Jeron Wilson, Stevie Williams, Bastien Salabanzi, and some other Cats who were black and killing it. I would always show them Devine Calloway, and there mouths shut CLOSE.

ENJOY.


Devine Calloway - Let's do this

(I apologize for the few cus words in advance)


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home